Orchestra Toronto’s Composition Competition
Orchestra Toronto is committed to supporting emerging Canadian talent. As part of our efforts to foster the development of composers in Canada who write for orchestras, and to contribute to the repertoire of community orchestras, we are proud to announce the Orchestra Toronto’s Composition Competition.
This biennial competition invites Canadian composers to submit proposals for a new work to be performed by Orchestra Toronto on Sunday, December 10, 2023.
Composition must be written for a full symphony orchestra and should be suitable for performance by a community orchestra.
- Composers: Must be a Canadian resident
- Age: 25 and under
- Date: New work to be performed by Orchestra Toronto at our Sunday, December 10, 2023 concert
- Theme of piece: Winter Solstice for full symphony orchestra
- Length: max 5 minutes
- Scored: Full orchestra instrumentation, up to: 33*32-4331-T-3P, Percussion, keyboard, strings, winds, and harp
- Composer must submit: Sample score, sound file for up to 5 minutes of music and CV by 5pm Friday, June 23, 2023
- Prize: $1,000
How to Enter
All submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a link to your Composition Portfolio. Portfolio must include the following:
- Sample score in pdf format
- Sound file for up to 5 minutes of music in mp3 or wav format
- Written concept in pdf format
- Background for the completed work in pdf format
- Your CV
The winner will receive a prize for $1,000 to create the submitted work, to be performed by Orchestra Toronto on Sunday, December 10, 2023.
All Composition Portfolios must be submitted by Friday, June 23, 2023, no later than 5:00 p.m.
Michael Newnham, Music Director
Elizabeth Raum, Composer in Residence
Maziar Heidari, Board Member