Competition Coordinator: Maziar Heidari, email@example.com
Orchestra Toronto supports emerging Canadian talent. To foster the development of composers in Canada writing for orchestras, and to contribute to the body of work for community orchestra, we have created the Orchestra Toronto Composer Prize, a biennial competition for a Canadian composer for a commission to create a work for community orchestra.
Orchestra Toronto invites composers to submit proposals for a new work to be performed by Orchestra Toronto at its June 2023 concert.
The commissioned work will be for a full symphony orchestra, and suitable for performance by a community orchestra.
- Composers must be Canadian residents at the time they submit the work.
- The commissioned work will be 7-10 minutes in length.
- Work must be for full symphony orchestra (*3*3*32-4331-T-3P(glock, snare drum, cymbals, bass drum)-keyboard -strings (no harp)).
How to Enter
Your name or any personal identifying information must not appear on any of the pdfs or files. We will anonymize all file names; however, any identifying information in the submitted work (except your CV) will disqualify you.
Fill in the Competition Entry Form. Include a link to your Composition Portfolio. Portfolio must include the following:
- Sample score in pdf format
- Sound file for up to 5 minutes of music in mp3 or wav format
- Written concept in pdf format
- Background for the completed work in pdf format
- Your CV
The winner will receive a commission for $1500 to create the submitted work, to be performed by Orchestra Toronto at our June 4, 2023, performance.
All Composition Portfolios and entry forms must be submitted by September 12, 2022, no later than 5:00 p.m.
The winner will be announced on November 16, 2022.
Michael Newnham, Music Director
Elizabeth Raum, Composer in Residence
Maziar Heidari, Board Member and Competition Coordinator