As part of our Education and Outreach programs, Orchestra Toronto, one of the foremost community orchestras in Canada, engages five talented and dynamic apprentice conductors each year.
This volunteer position provides a unique opportunity for a young conductor to advance their skills in an artistically stimulating environment. Orchestra Toronto presents five concerts each season in the acoustically superb George Weston Recital Hall at the Meridian Arts Centre.
Conducting Apprenticeships with Orchestra Toronto
For conductors at the early stages of their careers, opportunities to practice their craft with a live orchestra can be difficult to come by. “Podium time” at music schools is in short supply. An apprenticeship with Orchestra Toronto offers emerging conductors the chance to work with the Orchestra throughout the rehearsal cycle for one concert, from initial read-through to the final performance. In addition, conductors receive coaching and mentoring from Music Director Michael Newnham.
- A chance to conduct Orchestra Toronto in rehearsal and performances at the discretion of the Music Director, Michael Newnham
- Score study with our Music Director
- Assist with conducting rehearsals and sectionals
- Formal announcement of the appointment and recognition of the position in Orchestra Toronto publicity
- Exposure to professional operations of a symphony orchestra, including Production, Marketing and Fundraising
- Professional support and mentoring from Executive Director, Julianna Cole
Program Applicant Requirements
- an undergraduate degree or commensurate experience in Orchestral Conducting in an academic or professional setting
- a broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire
- availability for Thursday evening rehearsals from 7:30-10:00 at the Meridian Arts Centre, 5040 Yonge St.
Julianna Cole, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank you for your application; however, only selected applicants will be contacted.