Orchestra Toronto is excited to welcome Gairloch Developments as the 2022 sponsor of the Gairloch Developments Conducting Apprenticeship.
As part of our Education and Outreach programs, Orchestra Toronto, one of the foremost community orchestras in Canada, is seeking talented and dynamic apprentice conductors. This volunteer position provides a unique opportunity for a young conductor to advance their skills in an artistically stimulating environment. Orchestra Toronto presents five concerts each season in the acoustically superb George Weston Recital Hall at the Meridian Arts Centre.
Following a suspension of this programme during the COVID-19 shutdowns, we are now selecting up to three apprentices for our 2021-22 season, one per concert cycle from January through May.
The Gairloch Developments Conducting Apprenticeship
Orchestra Toronto is thrilled to announce that we are resuming our Apprentice Conductor programme for the Winter-Spring 2022 season, owing to a generous sponsorship from Gairloch Developments.
For conductors at the early stages of their careers, opportunities to practice their craft with a live orchestra can be difficult to come by. “Podium time” at music schools is in short supply. An apprenticeship with Orchestra Toronto offers emerging conductors the chance to work with the Orchestra throughout the rehearsal cycle for one concert, from initial read-through to the final performance. In addition, conductors receive coaching and mentoring from Music Director Michael Newnham.
Sponsor Gairloch Developments is a multi-disciplinary real estate organization specializing in the acquisition, development, and construction of urban infill projects in prime neighbourhoods. Our focus is on direct investment and joint venture opportunities. Gairloch is delighted to sponsor the 2022 Gairloch Developments Conducting Apprenticeship, as part of its commitment to building communities and supporting young people.
- A chance to conduct Orchestra Toronto in rehearsal and performances at the discretion of the Music Director, Michael Newnham
- Score study with our Music Director
- One-on-one technique and coaching sessions with our Music Director and piano
- Assist with conducting rehearsals and sectionals
- Formal announcement of the appointment and recognition of the position in Orchestra Toronto publicity
- Exposure to professional operations of a symphony orchestra, including Production, Marketing and Fundraising
- Professional support and mentoring from Executive Director Jennie Worden
Program Applicant Requirements
- an undergraduate degree or commensurate experience in Orchestral Conducting in an academic or professional setting
- a broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire
- availability for Thursday evening rehearsals from 7:30-10:00 at the Meridian Arts Centre, 5040 Yonge St.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and video sample of them conducting (in class, in rehearsal, or in performance) by November 26, 2021, by E-mail or mail to:
Orchestra Toronto 5040 Yonge Street
Toronto ON, M2N 6R8
We thank you for your application; however, only selected applicants will be contacted.