As part of our Education and Outreach programs, Orchestra Toronto, one of the foremost community orchestras in Canada, engages five talented and dynamic apprentice conductors each year.
This volunteer position provides a unique opportunity for a young conductor to advance their skills in an artistically stimulating environment. Orchestra Toronto presents five concerts each season in the acoustically superb George Weston Recital Hall at the Meridian Arts Centre.
Applications for the 2022-23 season are closed. Meet the 2022-23 Apprentice Conductors.
Conducting Apprenticeships with Orchestra Toronto
For conductors at the early stages of their careers, opportunities to practice their craft with a live orchestra can be difficult to come by. “Podium time” at music schools is in short supply. An apprenticeship with Orchestra Toronto offers emerging conductors the chance to work with the Orchestra throughout the rehearsal cycle for one concert, from initial read-through to the final performance. In addition, conductors receive coaching and mentoring from Music Director Michael Newnham.
- A chance to conduct Orchestra Toronto in rehearsal and performances at the discretion of the Music Director, Michael Newnham
- Score study with our Music Director
- One-on-one technique and coaching sessions with our Music Director and piano
- Assist with conducting rehearsals and sectionals
- Formal announcement of the appointment and recognition of the position in Orchestra Toronto publicity
- Exposure to professional operations of a symphony orchestra, including Production, Marketing and Fundraising
- Professional support and mentoring from Executive Director Jennie Worden
Program Applicant Requirements
- an undergraduate degree or commensurate experience in Orchestral Conducting in an academic or professional setting
- a broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire
- availability for Thursday evening rehearsals from 7:30-10:00 at the Meridian Arts Centre, 5040 Yonge St.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and video sample of them conducting (in class, in rehearsal, or in performance) by August 20, 2022, by E-mail or mail to:
Orchestra Toronto 5040 Yonge Street
Toronto ON, M2N 6R8
We thank you for your application; however, only selected applicants will be contacted.