Volunteer Principal French Horn Player
Orchestra Toronto is one of Canada’s oldest community orchestras. After many successful years, our principal French horn player has decided to step down from the principal’s chair.
We are auditioning for a volunteer principal French horn player.
Season: September 5, 2019—May 31, 2020
Fee – Volunteer, no fee.
Orchestra Toronto performs an orchestra subscription season of five concerts in the George Weston Recital Hall at the Toronto Centre for the Arts in North York, as well as occasional outreach performances in and around North York. We rehearse weekly on Thursday evenings at the Toronto Centre for the Arts in North York. This position is appropriate for a musician living in the Greater Toronto Area. Auditions will take place August 27 and 28, 2019.
Qualified musicians should submit a detailed résumé to: John McGregor, Personnel Manager, Orchestra Toronto. Please also tell us your preferred audition time (afternoon or evening) on August 27 or 28. Applications close at midnight on Tuesday, August 6, 2019.
Short-listed applicants will be contacted to arrange live auditions.
PRINCIPAL HORN AUDITION REPERTOIRE
- Beethoven, Symphony no. 9, 4th horn solo movement 3 measure 83 – 99
- Beethoven, Symphony no. 7, movement 1
- Brahms, Symphony no. 1 movements 2 and 4
- Bruckner, Symphony no. 4 horn solo at beginning of movement 1
- R. Strauss, “Till Eulenspiegel’s Merry Pranks”:a) beginning to rehearsal number 1;b) from rehearsal number 29 to rehearsal number 35.
- Mahler, Symphony no. 5: movement 3 scherzo: all
Recommended Solo concerto:
– W A Mozart Horn concerto no. 2 or no. 4: movement 1 with cadenza.