Apprentice Conductor Applications Open for 2018!
As part of our Education and Outreach programs, Orchestra Toronto, one of the foremost community orchestras in Canada, is seeking talented and dynamic apprentice conductors. This volunteer position provides a unique opportunity for a young conductor to advance his/her skills in an artistically stimulating environment. Orchestra Toronto presents five concerts each season in the acoustically superb George Weston Recital Hall at the Toronto Centre for the Arts.
We will be selecting up to five apprentices for our 2018-19 season, one per concert cycle.
- A chance to conduct Orchestra Toronto in rehearsal at the discretion of the Interim Music Director, Michael Newnham
- Score study with our Interim Music Director
- Assist with conducting rehearsals and sectionals
- Formal announcement of the appointment and recognition of the position in Orchestra Toronto publicity
- Exposure to professional operations of a symphony orchestra, including Production, Marketing and Fundraising
- Professional support and mentoring from Executive Director Jennie Worden
Program Applicant Requirements
- an undergraduate degree or commensurate experience in Orchestral Conducting in an academic or professional setting
- a broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire
- availability for Thursday evening rehearsals from 7:30-10:00 at the Toronto Centre for the Arts
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and a link to a video sample of them conducting (in class, in rehearsal, or in performance) by August 15, 2018, e-mail or mail to:
5040 Yonge Street
Toronto ON, M2N 6R8
We thank you for your application; however, only selected applicants will be contacted.