As part of our Education and Outreach programs, Orchestra Toronto offers up to five talented and dynamic apprentice conductors the opportunity to work with the Orchestra as Apprentice Conductors for one concert cycle. This represents a unique opportunity for a young conductor to advance his/her skills in an artistically stimulating environment. Orchestra Toronto presents five concerts each season in the acoustically superb George Weston Recital Hall at the Toronto Centre for the Arts.
- A chance to conduct Orchestra Toronto in rehearsal at the discretion of the Interim Music Director, Michael Newnham
- Score study with our Interim Music Director
- Assist with conducting rehearsals and sectionals
- Formal announcement of the appointment and recognition of the position in Orchestra Toronto publicity
- Exposure to professional operations of a symphony orchestra, including Production, Marketing and Fundraising
- Professional support and mentoring from Executive Director Jennie Worden
Program Applicant Requirements
- an undergraduate degree or commensurate experience in Orchestral Conducting in an academic or professional setting
- a broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire
- availability for Thursday evening rehearsals from 7:30-10:00 at the Toronto Centre for the Arts
Applications for the 2018-19 season are now closed. Applications for the 2019-2020 season will open in May, 2019.