conducting apprenticeships by Orchestra Toronto
As part of our Education and Outreach programs, Orchestra Toronto offers up to five talented and dynamic apprentice conductors the opportunity to work with the Orchestra as Apprentice Conductors for one concert cycle. This represents a unique opportunity for a young conductor to advance his/her skills in an artistically stimulating environment. Orchestra Toronto presents five concerts each season in the acoustically superb George Weston Recital Hall at the Meridian Centre for the Arts.
- A chance to conduct Orchestra Toronto in rehearsal at the discretion of the Interim Music Director, Michael Newnham
- Score study with our Music Director
- Assist with conducting rehearsals and sectionals
- Formal announcement of the appointment and recognition of the position in Orchestra Toronto publicity
- Exposure to professional operations of a symphony orchestra, including Production, Marketing and Fundraising
- Professional support and mentoring from Executive Director Jennie Worden
Program Applicant Requirements
- an undergraduate degree or commensurate experience in Orchestral Conducting in an academic or professional setting
- a broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire
- availability for Thursday evening rehearsals from 7:30-10:00 at the Toronto Centre for the Arts
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and video sample of them conducting (in class, in rehearsal, or in performance) by August 19, 2019, by E-mail or mail to:
5040 Yonge Street
Toronto ON, M2N 6R8
We thank you for your application; however, only selected applicants will be contacted.