We are proud to announce that the Orchestra Toronto Marta Hidy Concerto Competition 2017 Prize has been awarded to violist Lynn Sue-A-Quan.
Watch for her at our December 2017 youth concert!
Lynn Sue-A-Quan, began playing violin at age 6 and switched to viola at age 11 when she was admitted to the Taylor Academy Program at the Royal Conservatory of Music. There she studied under Dr. Conrad Chow, Dean Barry Shiffman and Victor Danchenko. In 2015 she completed the change to viola while studying under Teng Li. Lynn has won numerous competitions including Symphony on the Bay Concerto Competition the Canadian Music Competition and performed as a soloist with Sinfonia Toronto, Symphony on the Bay, Toronto Sinfonietta and the Niagara Symphony Orchestra.
The winner of the Orchestra Toronto Concerto Competition was decided by a five member panel of judges:
- Kevin Mallon, the Music Director of Orchestra Toronto
- John Dvorak, Orchestra Toronto cellist and son of Marta Hidy
- Elizabeth Morris, Orchestra Toronto Principal Viola
- John Weiner, Orchestra Toronto Principal Double Bass
- Winona Zelenka, Assistant Principal Cello, Toronto Symphony Orchestra
- Paul Rogers, Double Bass, Toronto Symphony Orchestra
Lynn Sue-A-Quan’s audition video: